1.1 Background Of The Study
An organizations most valuable resources is its human resources and work force that is the people who work for it, manager therefore need to give careful thought to the needs of the employees.
An organization can have all the latest technology, and the best physical resources, but unless it looks after its manpower, it will never achieve their optimum results.
According to Vetter (2001) Human resources or manpower planning is a technique for predicting how many and what types of staff will be required at specific time in the future.
This study introduced important aspect of human resources management, people are often the most expensive because other factor of production are human creations. They are made up people rather than material assets such as building and machinery. It is the individuals looking after an organization who produce the productions make the decision and devise strategies.
As the marketing officer plans on how to handle the marketing staff and product to increase profits, so does the personnel officer plan to see that the organization has the rightful employee planning in general futuristic, so manpower planning is expected to cover all the future human resources requirements of the organization. Such planning is expected to cover long and short term plans Chikere (2002). In any country, the labour force is the greatest asset and of all the key market in any economy, the human resource market is the most important. No matter, how great our organization is equipped with most recent technology finances etc. it cannot operate without a good resources supply effectiveness in an organization as a result of talented skipped manpower. The machines do not operate themsleves rather human beings operate them. Increase of skilled labour and dedicated works make for increase in productivity.
Mullius (2006) defined manpower planning which also known as human resources is planning as strategy for the acquisition, utilization, improvement and retention of an enterprise human resources in the third world countries, particularly in Nigeria there are many organization that are established without proper manpower planning the general case is that the entrepreneur conceives the idea of the enterprise and figures out the needs of the forms in terms of plants and machineries, without giving good attention to human capital.
It is against this Background that the researcher wants to study the role of human resources planning in the actualization organization growth objective, using Unilever Nigeria Plc Aba, Abia State as the study organizations.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
The growth of an organization depends on several factors, but the most important is the employees or human resources.
Since human or manpower is very vital to growth of an organization, it then follows that there is every need to plan it well, if the aim of achieving organizational growth is to be attained. An organization that does not plan it manpower needs, will at last find out that it is neither meeting its personnel requirements Mr. its overall goals efficiently. No organization can survive or grow towards the achievement of its goal and objectives effectively and efficiently without a proper knowledge of its strength and weakness as far as its manpower requirement is concerned. This could be appropriately predicted through manpower planning.
Since it is the derive of every organization to grow and as pointed out above, this organizational growth depends so much on manpower planning. This study is therefore designed to ascertain the role played by human resources planning as it pertained to the growth of the organization. The growth of an organization depends on several factors but the most important is the employees on human resources. Therefore the problem of this organization are exemplified as follows:
- Lack of manpower planning needs, which thereby the achievement of organization goals.
- Decrease skilled labour and dedicated workers hampers increase in productivity of the organization.
- Lack of knowledge of the strengths and weakness of its staff the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization. Inadequate talented skilled manpower hampers the operation of its machines and equipment.
- Excessive wastage of resources are being witness in the organization as a result of non usage of result oriented staff. High rate of labour turn over witnessed as a result of under employment.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
- The major objective of this study is to determine the role of human resources planning in the actualization of organizational growth objective.
- Specially the study is to access the extend to which poor human resources planning has hindered the achievement of corporate objective.
- To determine the extend to which lack of planning has contributed to idle capacity that is not fully utilized.
- To examine if there are inadequacy in human resources planning in the organization.
1.4 The Research Question
The research question on the role of human resources planning in the actualization of organizational growth objective one as follows:
- Does lack of human resources planning hinder the achievement of organizational corporate goal?
- Does wastage of resources caused by non employment of result of underemployment?
- Does high rate of labour turn over witness as a result of underemployment?
- Does lack of knowledge of strength and weakness of staff the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The following hypothesis were formulated for the study to be tested at 0.05 level of significance;
- Ho: Human resources planning has no positive effects on the achievement of Organisational goals.
- Hi: Human resources planning has positive effect on the achievement of organizational goals.
- Ho: Production level is not independent of proper human resources planning.
- Hi: Production level is dependent of proper human resources planning.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
- The findings of this study will significantly contribute to the appreciation of the role of human resources planning in the growth of the organization.
- This project work will be specifically be relevant in those various ways: The outcome of the work will be useful for the human resources managers of organization for proper administration of the work force.
- The employees of various organizations will find this study between their inputs and growth of the organization.
- The work shall also serve as a reference material for further research in this area.