1.1 Background Of The Study
The efficiency of office employees is directly or indirectly affected by the conditions under which they are required to do their work which affect the performances of workers and the achievement of organizational objectives for this purpose, this study will focus its attention on The Effects of Poor Office Environment on the Motivation of Workers in an Organization
. According to oxford Advance Learner Dictionary, “Are office is a room, set of rooms or building where people work usually sitting at desk”.
Egbe T.E and Rita Ejifor (1987: P.255) defined office as a place where clerical activities take place” to put it succinctly, the office is a service delivery unit of an organization, such services may include clerical secretarial, accounting and research duties. These are vital services that complement or facilitate the work of the executives in an organization. Office reflects the company's wealth, it's value and it's attitudes, for visitors and workers it is the company's handful image and it provides the stage on which the more static element of the company perform for their customers, staff and community. Above all, office is designed to stimulate environments that encourage creativity.
Therefore, one cannot define an office without the knowledge of its environment. Are office environment is a business community where achieve organizational goals. It should be known that every business system lies within are environment in enhancing work motivation and job satisfaction is necessary in every organization.
Consequently management should look into work motivation and conducive environment as antidote for enhancing productively and influences the amount of work interest and happiness of workers.
The office environment are consists of office building, furniture and layout, lighting, air condition, ventilation, color conditioning or decoration , sound condition physical conditioning in which workers operate under a safety measures and so on.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
It is the fact that human beings are one important resource available to the organization and prove to pressure and influences such as noise, poor lighting and unsuitable work tools as this always creates discomfort in the work place and tend to urge the employees to seek more suitable conditions outside the workstation. These conditions, which are harmful to their health and moral results in physical and mental fatigue in other words, it results to inefficiency. The general working environments of most Nigeria office with particular references to Enugu North Local Government are subjected to utter neglects.
- The office environment looks very use stimulating to the eyes.
- The workers or employees have a negative attitude towards their jobs that is inadequate responsibility, high rate of absenteeism and discipline.
- Also, the flow of communication between workers and management is inadequate.
- Workers welfare is not taken care of or payment is nothing to write home about comparing it with economic condition of the country.
Looking at these problems, one will quickly notice that workers rate of production and organizational hazards that might cause injury or death of workers deriders on environment factors. It is the environment that will greatly motivate the workers to increase their productivity.
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
- To find the effect environment in the productivity of workers.
- To determine the effect of salary structure on the performance of workers
- To find the effect inadequate office furniture and fitting, modern machines in the performance of workers of Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State.)
1.4 Scope Of The Study
- To identify the impact of depressing of office environment on the motivation of workers.
- To find out the indifference attitude and it's impact on the motivation of workers
- To know if the structure has an impact on workers performance and motivation.