1.1 Background of Study
The evolution of payments in recent history has gone from cash to cheques, and then to payment cards such as credit cards and debit cards. Interestingly, ATM cards are the most rapidly growing method of payments in several countries around the world. Information and communication technology (ICT) have also provided new products and value-added services to be delivered using the same electronic infrastructure. In order to remain competitive, most companies invest a lot of money in modern ICT infrastructure. ICT has also changed drastically the way businesses are done in these modern times. In recent years, the use of different channels for banking and financial services has changed the whole way bank customers and their banks interact. With the increasing popularity of the internet, more and more industries are seeking ways to utilize this popular medium in an effort to keep up with the changing technological preferences of their customers.
The development of banking ATMs (Automatic Teller Machines) industry has received much attention in recent years, mainly due to growing ATM networks. Recent scholarship has studied whether its growth has maximized consumer welfare. The concern is rooted in the network effects that depend on total number of users or customers patronizing banking ATMs. Because the form of banking ATMs of both banking cards for depositors and differentiated banking ATMs can be regarded as network effects.Online ATM card request, activation and delivery System with tracker is an application which generally allows bank customers apply for Automated Teller Machines cards used to withdraw money at ATM machines or perform cashless transactions without visiting the bank,This application will be used by financial Institutions (Banks) to create and manage customers ATM card request using a computerized system where the customers can apply for their ATM cards anywhere in the world, without visiting the bank and more importantly verify and speed up the request time for getting the ATM card with a tracker, to aid speed up of the entire process, with this computerized system there will be no queues in banks, no hassle and stress to get ATM cards from our banks across the country. Ifacustomer needs an ATM card to perform cashless transactions, the customer is able to apply for this card over the web without visiting the bank, all these modules are able to help the bank to manage and createan ATM forcustomerswith more convenience and in a more efficient way and it also help in the cashless policy initiated by the central bank of Nigeria.
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
The problems found during customers’ application for ATM cards was so much that there were;
- Difficult in ATM Card activation after ATM request, activation and delivery
- Cases of customers spending lot of time in bank queues in order to get their ATM cards,
- Lack of effectiveness in their methods of keeping customers ATM application records and
- Long days before the ATM cards is finally issued, further compounds the problem.
1.3 Aim and Objective Of The Study
The aim of the study is to develop a software that facilities ATM card, request, activation, and delivery to the target customer. In achieving this aim, the following objectives were set out as follows;
- To resolve the issue of manual application of ATM Cards.
- To provide a platform for bank customers to request and speed up the collection of ATM Cards in a secured environment.
- To design and implement a system where Bank Customers can easily track their ATM card request application.
- To aid financial institutions perform at their best with the use of modern digital ways to speed up service delivery.
- To easily confirm the authenticity of any customers’ ATM Card.
1.4 Significance Of The Study
This study is beneficial in the following way;
- The study will contribute immensely to the banking sector of Nigeria especially, in the area of ATM card request, activation and delivery.
- With the proposed technology, bank customers will request for AT cards at their convenience in a secured manner.
- The study will also serve as a foundation for other student researchers who have keen interest in the subject matter.
1.5 Scope of Study
This research work will concentrate on ATM card request, activation, and deliverywith the aid of a tracker (unique identifier during ATM card request) using Access Bank PLC as a case study.
1.6 Limitations of the Study
During the course of this study, many things militated against its completion, some of which are:
- Time Constraint: The time frame given to accomplish this project was very short due to school academic calendar and it was carried out under pressure which made the researcher not to implement some necessary features.
- Establishment Policies: Establishment policies posed a serious limitation as most staffs are not ready to release information needed for this project work. There were lots of information needed from the staffs of this institution to enhance the study which took them time to release or they did not release at all for security purposes, hence the scope was reduced.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
To fully understand what the study is all about, important and dispensable terms have been chosen and due definition given to them.
- ATM Card- is a payment card or dedicated card or dedicated payment card issued by a financial institution which enables a customer to access automated teller machines.
- Tracker- system used toobserve of person or objects on the move and supplying a timely ordered sequence of location data for further processing.
- Customers- a party that receives or consumes products (goods or services) and has the ability to choose between different products and suppliers.
- Financial institution- A financial institution(FI) is a company engaged in the business of dealing with financial and monetary transactions, such as deposits, loans, investments and currency exchange.
- Computerized – equipping something with or the usage of and associated automation by computers and software.
- Operation – an act or instance, process, or manner of functioning or operating.
- Manually- by hand rather than automatically or electronically.
- e-banking- Online banking also known as internet banking, it is an electronic payment system that enables customers of a bank or other financial institution to conduct a range of financial transactions through the financial institution website.
- Records - to set down in writing or keep evidence of something.
- Online: connected to, served by, or available through a system and especially a computer or telecommunications system (such as the Internet)
- Delivery System: this is any means or process for conveying a product or service to a recipient.