Electronic Learning is a system designed to help students gain access and acquire knowledge in any university of their choice. It can include: Enhance face –to- face instruction (on campus, in class use of computer and the World Wide Web (WWW), enhanced distance education (on or off campus) individuals and group learning with both print and computer-based materials instruction entirely on- line (individual and group learning) because of this mix Electronic Learning and text based e- learning knowledge is moving towards every student being an e- learner at last for part of their study, whether through learning materials, e-mail for contacting teachers/ tutors or any one of their myriad other e-learning applications. Electronic Learning results to learning and other supportive resources that are available through a computer and it includes computer based training, computer based instruction and technology.
As a prelude to other parts of this study, this chapter will discuss the background upon which this study was initiated, the statement of problems that led to this study, the Aim and Objectives of the study. Others are Significance of the study, Scope of work, Limitation of the study and Definition of technical terms.
1.2 Background of Study
An Electronic Learning framework carries education nearer to the individuals and evacuates the pressure and imperatives, which characterize the conventional classroom learning system. The hallmarks of Electronic Learning are the separation of teacher and learner in space and/or time, the control of learning by the student rather than the distant instructor, and non-adjacent communication between student and teacher, mediated by print or other forms of technology. At its most essential level, distance education is a procedure where number of teachings is conducted by remotely located lecturers. Two categories of Electronic Learning Platforms exist; namely On-line and Off-line Electronic Learning. On-line Electronic Learning, also known as virtual classroom is a type of learning system in which students work on their own at home or at the office and communicate with personnel and different studies by means of email, electronic discussions, videoconferencing and different types of PC based correspondence.. Off-line Electronic Learning on its own is a multi-campus system where a University or Polytechnic establishes many campuses and each of these campuses may be centrally controlled or decentralized.
Education is the way toward achieving a generally lasting change in human conduct. It is the primary instrument used to safeguard, keep up and overhaul people’s culture, standards and qualities. In any developing country, education is a veritable device for deciding innovative headway and passing on to the new ages, the current learning of the physical condition. Training likewise fills in as stage for presenting people to any association, giving aptitudes for performing day by day employments, recreation just as teaching sound ethics in the individuals for their own advantage and that of the general public. In synopsis, training is the stage on which more youthful age comprehend the past legacy just as take an interest and contribute seriously to the development and advancement of the general public. Conventionally, education has been practiced across the world in segregated buildings by carefully regimented and standardized classes of students and teachers. This has a consequential effect on both the teacher and the learner. For instance, education is verifiably limited distinctly to the individuals who could be in the classroom and pursue the instructor unbendingly with the pace by which he introduces his lectures, the ever increasing population explosion all over the continent and different educational system in every region of the world brought greater challenges to this method of education. For instance, there is an issue of lacking number of human and material assets to cater for the training of the enormous populace. The number of inhabitants in school age resident in many spots has developed immensely to the degree that solitary a little rate can be offered admission. The student – lecturer and student-classroom ratios have grown to the extent that teaching and learning in the classroom have been less effective. The field of education therefore provides the most fascinating application of computing system, which has consequently attracted considerable attention from educationists and policy makers since the late 1960s when computers were introduced into classrooms. Various information technologies have been applied in learning and teaching, such as Computer Aided Instruction, (CAI), Computer Aided Learning (CAL), Research Packages, Project Monitoring, and Computerized Libraries and so on. As a result of technological advancement in multimedia technology, computer networks and the Internet, computers are now being applied in Electronic Learning premised on on-line and real time teaching and instruction.
1.3 Statement of the Problem
Due to the problems students find and experiences, it has never been easy for students to acquire basic and necessary education in any institution one wishes irrespective of the fact that the resources are there. This poses a lot of problems sometimes they will embrace not going to school at all. It is very impossible for a student in America or any other country coming to NOUN everyday for lectures more so, it will be impossible for FPN staff going to America or any other country where the students might be located everyday to deliver lectures. Sometimes if number of students increase reduction in student admission will be affected in order to provided adequate structures where they can have their lectures. The above views are what gave birth to the research work in order to find solution to them.
1.4 Aim and Objectives of Study
The aim of the study is to develop an Electronic Learning Platform using Computer Science Department in NOUN University as a case study. In achieving this aim, the following specific objectives were laid out as follows to design an application that will:
- Provide course material on time and with different media types (audio, text and video).
- Provide chat room, online exams, upcoming events and grade report.
- Provide students easier way to acquire any of the NOUN certificates without been in the institute or with less difficulty.
- Proffer solution to students whom because of nearness to institute and are unable to acquire knowledge that they need.
1.5 Significance of Study
Electronic Learning can provide benefits for the organizations and individuals involved. Improved performance: it is interactive to the students thereby improving their productivity.
- Improves Standard of Education: it eliminates examination inadequacies like examination malpractices.
- Increased Access: It enables people from any part of the world to be educated.
- Convenience and Flexibility to Learners: learning process is structured in units; this makes the learner study at his own convenience without getting too bored with lectures.
- Reduced cost: it reduces the cost of learning, examination and result processing institutions.
This study will be of immense benefit to researchers who intend to know more on this study and can also be used by non-researchers to build more on their research work. This study contributes to knowledge and could serve as a guide for other study.
1.6 Scope of Study
The scope of the research is focused on designing and implementing a web based system for Electronic Learning using innovative technology as a significance tool to drive quality of education using National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), Nigeria.
1.7 Limitations of the study
During the course of this study, many things militated against its completion, some of which are:
- Time Constraint: The time frame given to accomplish this project was very short due to school academic calendar and it was carried out under pressure which made the researcher not to implement some necessary features.
- Establishment Policies: Establishment policies posed a serious limitation as most staffs are not ready to release information needed for this project work. There were lots of information needed from the staffs of this institution to enhance the study which took them time to release or they did not release at all for security purposes, hence the scope was reduced.
- Research material: availability of research material is a major setback to the scope of the study.
- Frequent power failure: This made the researcher append more money on fuel to ensure sustainable power.
- Financial Constraint: Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet).
1.8 Definition of Terms
Computer: an electronic device that is capable of accepting data, processing data automatically, store it, produces the result where needed.
Electronic Learning: is an act of using IT tools to distribute or share knowledge between groups of learners. It is not going to be physically but the use of electronics.