The declining in standard and quality has manifested self in the student poor academic performance in the West African school certificate examination in general and English and mathematics in particular. Secondary education is the faster of primary education, therefore primary education is taken to be the rudiment of education from all indication, it appears that the rudiment of education is shaky and most pupils who move from the primary schools to the secondary schools are ill-equipped and less competent. In our generation today, many pupils who fall their common entrance examination would conveniently have assess into secondary school education without necessarily having the requirements for admission. This made us believe that the weakness in primary education has negative effects on secondary education.
As a prelude to other parts of this study, this chapter will discuss the background upon which this study was initiated, the statement of problems that led to this study, the Aim and Objectives of the study. Others are Significance of the study, Scope of work, Research hypothesis and questions, Limitation of the study and Definition of technical terms.
1.2 Background of Study
Usually educational standard stands for quality of education. Quality has been the goal of an eternal quest through the corridors of human history. It has been the divining force of all human endeavors. Concerning standard or quality of education the Marmar (2005) clears that defining quality of education is a challenge since it deals with the most sensitive creation on earth, the human beings. Industrial products are finished goods, but education has no such finished product, nor even the graduates. Educational standards of Pakistan have been a burning issue among the educationalists since independence.
The present education system of Pakistan has failed to disclose before the new generation the founding reasons of Pakistan. Musa (2005) stated that the disastrous results of this negligence are now evident in every walk of life. The responsibility for this deterioration lies with influential factions and those in power. The most alarming aspect besides ideological confusion and moral degradation is the falling standard of education. Due to constant decay Pakistan educational document are now no more acceptable abroad. Muhammad (2009) stated that currently, the government claims that Pakistan has a literacy rate of 47%. However, independent analysts and educational organizations put the actual figure at about 20% at secondary level. Most of the private schools serve as tuition centers to prepare students for board exams, rarely providing quality education and opportunities for intellectual growth.
Therefore, in Delta State where the research was carried out, the activities that was conducted is to investigate the Factors Responsible for the Declining Standard of Secondary Education.
1.3 Statement of Problems
Investigation revealed that the situation in teaching and learning process in secondary education nowadays has opened door for prolonged argument for people in teaching field; educationalist and those outside the field to debate on declining standard of education. Education in Delta State, particularly in secondary schools have been plagued by a number of Muriel problems such as, lack of qualified teachers, lack of adequate instructional materials, lack of experienced teachers, poor performance of students in WAEC and NECO exams etc.
All these issues have led to the decline of standard of education in secondary schools in Delta State. It is in recognition to the numerous problems faced by the secondary schools education in the state that this study embark upon in Warri-South local government area of Delta State in order to find out factors responsible.
1.4 Aim and Objectives of Study
The aim of the study is to investigate the Factors Responsible for the Declining Standard of Secondary Education. In achieving this aim, the following specific objectives were laid out as follows:
- To investigate the causes the decline in standard of performance in school certificate examination in Warri-South local government.
- To examine how teaching experience affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area.
- To determine the factors responsible for the decline in standard of education in Warri-South local government area.
- To find out whether lack of required teacher’s qualification affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area.
- To find out whether lack of instructional materials affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area.
1.5 Research Questions
The study came up with research questions so as to be able to ascertain the above stated objectives. The specific research questions for the study are stated below as follows:
- Does teaching experience affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area?
- Does lack of required teacher's qualification affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area?
- Does lack of instructional materials affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area?
- What are the factors responsible for the decline in standard of education in Warri-South local government area?
- What are the causes the decline in standard of performance in school certificate examination in Warri-South local government?
1.6 Research Hypothesis
In order to pursue the objective of this study, the following generalized statements have been designed to guide and aids in obtaining the result for the experiment to be conducted. For this work, the null hypothesis will be represented with H0 while the alternative hypothesis will be represented with hypothesis H1.
- H0: Teaching experience does not affect the standard of education in Warri-South local government area
- H1: Teaching experience affects the standard of education in Warri-South local government area
- H0: There are no significant factors responsible for the decline in standard of education in Warri-South local government area
- H1: There are significant factors responsible for the decline in standard of education in Warri-South local government area
1.7 Significance of Study
The findings of this research will enable the general public to identify factors responsible for the decline in standard of secondary education in Warri-South local government area. It is also hope that, the study will assist educational planners, teachers, parent’s community and educational administrators to gain an insight into the problem at hand. It is also hoped the study will assist educational planners, teachers, and educational administrators to have an insight into the problem at hand.
This study will be of immense benefit to other researchers who intend to know more on this study and can also be used by non-researchers to build more on their research work. This study contributes to knowledge and could serve as a guide for other study.
1.8 Scope of Study
The scope of the research is focused on the Factors Responsible for the Declining Standard of Secondary Education using Warri-South local government area in Delta State as a case study.
1.9 Limitations of the Study
During the course of this study, many things militated against its completion, some of which are:
- Time Constraint: The time frame given to accomplish this project was very short due to school academic calendar and it was carried out under pressure which made the researcher not to implement some necessary features.
- Research material: availability of research material is a major setback to the scope of the study.
- Frequent power failure: This made the researcher append more money on fuel to ensure sustainable power.
- Financial Constraint: Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
1.10 Definition of Terms
Factor: A circumstance contributing to a result
Responsible: Having an obligation to do something and so able to be blamed or credited for it.
Decline: Become smaller, fewer or less decrease or diminish in strength or quality, deteriorate.