According to Muru, In all human activities there are usually success and failure. Businesses, including banks are therefore no exception. In the period of loan as were experienced in the mid seventies thrived in an era of abundance and squander mamia. In such an era savings and investment are at their level-conditions favorable for banks to flourish and grow.
During this period also, banks do not think of means of survival and sustenance. They were all interested in building state of the art corporate entities to enhance their image and giving out loans indiscriminating without adequate realizable securities. On the other hand, when the lay daTa are over and down turns take over, the orders of the day as a result of macro-economic condition.
The situation as at now attained a dimension that can best be described as “cries level in the banking sector which became characterized by default in loan payment, dis saving and massive fraud at management level.
1.1 Background Of The Study
(According to Abraham) He says in all human activities, there is usually success and failure business including banks is therefore no exception. In period of loan as were experienced in the mid seventies thrived in an abundance and squander mania. In such an era savings and investments are at their peak level conditions favorable for bank to flourish and grow.
During this period also, banks do not think means survive and substance. They were all interested in building state of the art corporate edifies to enhance their image and giving out loans indiscriminately without adequate realizable securities.
On the other hand, when the lay days are over and down turns take over the orders the days arrive and banks failure become the order of the day as a result of adverse macro- economic conditions. The situation as at now attained a dimension that can best be described as “cries” level in the banking sector which became characterized by default in loan repayment, dis-saving and massive fraud of management level.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Obviously every private and public enterprise in Nigeria have their accounting departments and there are increasing cases of financial mismanagement in usually all the public and private organization in Nigeria.
Also the problem of this study lies on how the manager of the enterprises are able to recognize the role of accounting in their sectors so that these case of improper accountability will be minimized.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
- The main aim of this project is to show consolidation and acquisition as a financial option to the productivity in Nigeria banks, consolidation and acquisition will help to increase the value of the combined banks
- Also enable the banks that lack general managerial ability to obtain it from other banks.
- The project shall highlight among others the following nature of consolidation and acquisition.
1.4 Research Question
- These questions are asked by research in order to find answer to the research problem. The questions are as follows.
- Is consolidation and acquisition in financial option to the productivity in banking industry in Nigeria economy.
- Can consolidation and acquisition increase the confidence Nigeria deposit have in Nigeria banks.
- Does consolidation and acquisition have any significant reduction in unsystematic risks after a business combination?
- Has consolation and acquisition achieve diversification of investment portfolio.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
- This study is of immense importance to the chief executive of banks, shareholders, employers and regulatory authorities, prospective investors in the financial sector and more.
- Especial the financial analysis and consultant
- The studies also help public especially the depositor to know the banks that are sound so as to understand distress.
- The investor in the industry will also know where to direct or re-direct their investment for optimum return on their investments.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
Since the consolidation and acquisition cause in Nigerian banking industries, the study will be limited to three of the acquisition
— Universal Trust Bank PLC by union bank of Nigeria Plc equity Nigeria banks limited by international bank Magnum Trust Bank by Guarantee Trust Bank on the consolidation part, this research will draw its data from bank consolidation in Nigeria.
— Platinum Bank of Nigeria by Habibi Bank of Nigeria, United Bank of African by Standard Trust Bank of Nigeria.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
Firstly some of the banks will not agree to disclose the strategies they used in their business may be because of the competitive nature of the business or fear of opposition.
Secondly, the valuation method of the banks shares will differ from bank and in problems during negotiation between the interested banks.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
It is the fusion of two or more existing companies to become one of the existing companies.
It refers to the outright purchase of one company of a controlling interest in the share capital of another company.
A take-over-bid is one whereby an offer is made to all the shareholders in any class of share, to buy share reasonable to gain fully or /partial control of the company.
It is a merger carried out for the purpose of pooling sales or orders or for sharing of net profit such consolidation are temporary.