A route survey is collection operation to gather information about the proposed route of a roadway, utility pipe or railway.
The details of the method of surveying to be used in a given project depends upon the topography, the nature of the project and other factors.
In this modern age, the goods system of transportation has actually become a measure of country's economic and social development. While discussing the effect of good transportation system, it may be said that the increase in productivity and efficient transportation can lower the cost of production; the transportation cost is always an influencing factors of cost of commodity.
Route survey involves activities like planning, designing and execution of survey for the location design, construction operation and maintenance of good engineering project.
Route survey is required for all phase of planning designing and construction of transportation facilities. The rehabilitation of existing road include the terrain data design, the engineer should prepare the plan with specification deferring the work to be done vividly.
Seeing the fact that state government has limited resources to carter for the survey needs of the state, the department of surveying and geoinformatics federal polytechnic Nekede Owerri sees it as a wise decision to contribute towards the national development by helping in construction of 4KM road in Emekuku Owerri north L.G.A to Umuagwu Isinkwo in Ikeduru Imo State through surveying of the road.
The data collected can a well be submitted to ministry of work as a record which could be reviewed wherever the state government wants to embark on the maintenance of this road. Subsequently, this project was allocated to a particular group in the award of higher national diploma (HND) this project was carried out using total station, measuring tape, GPS, reflector.
1.2 Aim of Study
The aim of this project is to gather relevant information of the said route by determining the longitudinal section for profile, along Umuagwuisinkwo North Local Government Areas in Imo State; keeping in view the method and technology of achieving a successful route /road construction project and the stand and of these road construction project.
1.3 Objectives Of Study
- To analysis process and present the data in digital format.
- To design the formation level of the road and also the cut and fill.
- To provide formation (data) that are needed to show or portray the nature of terrain along the centre line of the road.
- To provide information needed for the construction of the route.
1.4 Scope Of The Study
The scope of this covers the total distances of about 4KM. it started at Emekuku chainage 0+00 and ended at Umugwuisisnkwo it involve route surveying methods and techniques using the following operation.
- Traversing along the centre line of the route.
- Profile leveling
- Production of plan using Microsoft excel and survey soft and plot the following survey.
1.5 Study Area
The project site is located at Emekuku in Owerri north to Umuagwuisinkwo Local government in Ikeduru Area of Imo State.
Coordinate Of Emekuku
Latitude coordinate 50 28' 14”
Longitude coordinate 70 06' 13”
1.6 Other Miscellaneous Services
- Survey to show the final product of the construction
- Survey to find out what the existing condition is (preliminary survey)
- Survey to monitor determination of the project (post excavation survey).
- Survey to stakeout the processed data on the ground (location survey).