Traffic Control Systems collect and analyze driving information of vehicles in the area, perform the optimal traffic signal control in accordance with the constantly changing road traffic situation, and provide useful traffic information to drivers based on the data collected. Ensuring a smooth traffic flow by shortening the driving time of vehicles and reducing the number of times vehicles come to a halt will lead to benefits such as a reduction in road traffic accidents and a decrease in air pollution, which will in turn make a significant contribution to a safe and comfortable road traffic environment (Kyosan, 2021).
As a prelude to other parts of this study, this chapter will discuss the background upon which this study was initiated, the statement of problems that led to this study, the Aim and Objectives of the study. Others are Significance of the study, Scope of work, Limitation of the study and Definition of technical terms.
1.2 Background of Study
Traffic System Computer technology is one of the achievements made by man. Its benefit has seen man being able to solve some of his immediate problems. It has opened the door to a large number of important applications that were not economically feasible in the past. Its applications ranges from automating devices in most offices where most tasks are highly automated to on-line computer control of industrial and commercial process for which this project is concerned.
The computer therefore presents a great opportunity to develop system more economically not simply because the availability of methodology and theories that could not previously be economically justified, among these numerous applications of the computer is it's use in controlling and monitoring traffic, this is reality a very expensive application because it has several features to utilize in the design.
The main reason for embarking on this project is because it is noteworthy that traffic system in ESUT-IMT Road Junction is very poor which results in traffic jams and most of which cause automobile accident within this junction due to congestion among road users with the increasing population and consequent increase in economic activities. However it is noteworthy to note that urban traffic jams are not limited to developing countries alone, but other developed countries still experience the same problem given the nature of their road network.
The reason as stated above for the problems being encountered for non-application of computer in the monitoring and controlling of the junction is enough to automate the traffic control system using it as the best alternative to direct the flow of traffic effectively and efficiently.
1.3 Statement of the Problem
The reason for embarking on this particular project is due to the fact that traffic jam is a problem within this T-junction because it has caused most of the automobile accidents and mishaps. This problem could also be attributed to the mistakes made by traffic policemen who might suddenly stop a line in order to give preference to some class of individuals and therefore pass wrong line or road. Since there is also on increasing population made up of students of the two higher institutions as well as the economic activities, road users experience what can be called ‘a diary ordeal' as most of their time is spent on the road as a result of congestion cause holdups. This situation affects mainly ESUT and IMT students and lecturers, as they are the major users of this T-junction.
1.4 Aims and Objectives of Study
The aim of the study is to Design and Implement an Intelligent Traffic Control System. In achieving this aim, the following specific objectives were laid out as follows to design and develop an application that will:
- Identify, examine, daily signals, monitor problems associated with traffic control on the aforementioned junction.
- Withstand high temperature, wind blow and rainfall, which affect the manual system that does the task.
- Assume the computer screen as the point of traffic light installation where light will be allowed to cycle over a fixed interval of time between the East, West and South of the T-junction road.
- Control the pedestrian request button such that if it is pressed the current cycle will terminate naturally with the use of the programming language.
- Direct the flow of traffic showing how and when vehicles and human can pass or drive through with the aid of the traffic display on screen.
1.5 Significance of Study
This project analysis the existing traffic control system, comparing both the manual and electronic method of controlling traffic. It helps to determine the design, which can handle some of the problems of the earlier system.
Manually, traffic control system involves human beings whose steadiness cannot be assured. Factors such as environment, state of mind and human relation militate against adopting human traffic control system. The proposed electronic system will be better that the manual traffic control, although this system can easily breakdown if not properly maintained. On the other hand, the automated system is the best to implement as it gives room for flexibility and efficiency of the system.
This study will be of immense benefit to drivers, and other researchers who intend to know more on this study and can also be used by non-researchers to build more on their research work. This study contributes to knowledge and could serve as a guide for other study.
1.6 Scope of Study
The study focuses on the Design and Implementation of an Intelligent Traffic Control System.
1.7 Limitations of the study
During the course of this study, many things militated against its completion, some of which are:
- Time Constraint: The time frame given to accomplish this project was very short due to school academic calendar and it was carried out under pressure which made the researcher not to implement some necessary features.
- Research material: availability of research material is a major setback to the scope of the study.
- Frequent power failure: This made the researcher append more money on fuel to ensure sustainable power.
- Financial Constraint: Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet).
1.8 Definition of Terms
- Information: Facts or knowledge provided or learned.
- Travel: To be on a journey, often for pleasure or business, and with luggage; to go from one place to another.
- Rate: To assign or to be assigned a particular rank or level.
- Ticket: A piece paper or card holder that gives right to admission to a place or event or travel on public transport.
- Reservation: The action of reserving/booking or arranging for use of a particular person.
- Cancellation: The act of deciding that (a planned event) will not take place.
- Bus: A large motor vehicle carrying passengers on a fixed route.
- Postponement: An act of arranging for (something) to take place at a time later than that first scheduled.
- System: A complex whole; a set of things working together as a mechanism or interconnecting network.